Monday, June 15, 2009

Get Off that Chair & Help Me

Okay, if you ever need help from Shasta to remove a snake from around your front door, think again. After picking Shasta up from the airport on Wednesday the 3rd we spent some time looking for her a dress for Ramsey & Aubrey's wedding, then headed home. She rode from Atkins to home with Leanne while Kyleigh rode with me (she always wants to be with Memee). I drove to Leanne's to drop Kyleigh off and pick Shasta up then came home. After we got her stuff out of the car and into the house we went back outside. I had previously turned a soft-sided ice chest upside down to drain left over water out of it. I reached down and grabbed the handle and when I raised it up there was a very large snake coiled up under it. I screamed out, not because I am afraid of snakes, but because it surprised me to see a snake on my front porch. I immediately dropped it back down and the snake slivered back under it. Shasta was standing as far away on the porch that she could get and asked me what I was going to do. I told her to go get the phone and I would call Wayne to see when he would be home. I thought the snake was a water moccasin so I knew it had to be killed. When I finally got a hold of him he said it would be a while before he could stop and come home. He told me to get my shovel and kill it, but he had taken my shovel a couple of weeks before and broke it. I decided to go to our shop and see if I could find something to use. I told Shasta to make sure it stayed under the ice chest and if it didn't, to watch where it went. I ran to the shop and found a hoe. When I got back to the porch I told Shasta to grab the handle and lift it up and I would kill it....Well guess what she did? She jumped up into the chair on the porch and refused to help me (big chicken). I finally lifted the handle up with the hoe and as soon as the snake was out I hit it several times until I was sure it was dead. I would have let it live if I knew for sure it wasn't poisonous, but it was too late by then.

Moral of the story, if you need help with snake killing don't ask Shasta!!!!!!

Still Missing Pee Wee!

2 comments:

Shasta Brooke said...

ha. ha. ha. ha ha. you are so funny. just to be clear, i like snakes, but i'm a city girl now, so it takes me a little while to get readjusted to seeing snakes on my front porch. lol

Nel said...

That is too funny. But I would of probably been on the chair with her. Your kids have really grown, and your grandbabies are precious. I know you are proud of all of them. I enjoy reading your blog. take care...
Nel(Curtis)Fastenau