Wayne & I decided to go to Sedona for a birthday vacation this year and I think we made the perfect decision on a place to go visit. We have never been this far West before and it was kinda weird to think we were so close to Los Angeles & Phoenix. Driving through Oklahoma, Texas & New Mexico was some of the ugliest land I have seen so far (maybe not as bad as Louisiana). It was bare, dry & ugly up until we got close to Albuquerque, New Mexico, but the problem with that is it was at night and snowing on us. There were big signs in several places telling us that when there was snow, they closed the interstate. We came up behind a snow plow and it was snowing so hard we couldn’t see the white line on the sides of the road. We were getting a little worried and was looking for a hotel to spend the night, mainly so we could drive a shorter distance to Sedona the next day so that we could enjoy most of the day there instead of driving further and missing out on a whole day.
The next day we headed out and got into Flagstaff where we were going to get off the interstate and head up Hwy 89 through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona. There on that road we saw a sign saying 89 was closed. I called our B & B owner and they told us a different (longer) way to get there. As we headed down Hwy 179 towards Sedona, there in front of us was the most Awesome views, as we rounded each curve it seemed like there was an even prettier view. We were pretty excited because that is the kind of stuff we love. We finally got into Sedona around 1:00, after checking into our B & B we headed out to sight see and hike. The first place we stopped was a beautiful Chapel that set on one of the huge red rocks. Next, we went on a 4 mile hike on Bell Rock & Capital Butte. I was pretty tired after that walk especially since we had drove 16 ½ hours in about 30 hours.
Tuesday we headed to the Grand Canyon. It was an amazing place to see with about a foot of snow on the ground and a little chilly, but it is definitely something everyone should see at least once. We only went on the South Rim because the North Rim is closed until Mid may. We went a different way back to Sedona going through a mountain area that had snow skiing resorts on it. There they had about 3 or 4 feet of snow, but at least the roads were clear.
Wayne & I at the Grand Canyon
Wednesday, my birthday, we went down to breakfast and then set out near the waterfall before heading out to ride the Verde Train through a Canyon. While sitting there Wayne told me to close my eyes, when he told me to open them I began to cry, there in a little black box was a beautiful baguette diamond ring. I was surprised because he actually picked out the ring that I had looked at and loved a few weeks before. He is pretty special, I think I will keep him another 32 years!
Red Rock Crossing
The train ride was exciting at least the first half, mainly because I had never ridden a train before and thought it was neat. The ride back wasn’t as much fun because we were tired and had already gone that way so it was just looking at the same thing. After leaving the train we stopped back in Sedona at the Red Rock Crossing. Oh my goodness, that was the most beautiful view ever, we would have stayed a lot longer but they closed the park at dusk and it didn’t matter if you were still in there or not they locked the gates.
Verde Canyon Train Ride
We went to an Italian Restaurant for my birthday dinner and it was okay, but no Olive Garden. So far all our meals were not very good, I think because we aren’t used to all those strange foods, it just wasn’t beans & taters or Whatta Burgers.
Thursday morning we headed out sightseeing again and stopping in at several shops, a lot of them were Native American. Wayne got a Red Fox hide and I bought T-shirts & jewelry. I have to have a T-shirt from every state that we go to. Then we decided to go hike some more after lunch at The Cowboy Club. Yum, the best meal yet, a cheeseburger. That was the first burger I have had since November, and needs to be my last cause I have to get back on a strict diet. We went to a place that had a rock we climbed to see another amazing view, called Airport Mesa. While up there taking pictures our camera batteries went dead so we had to make our 4th trip to Walgreens. We went on to Cathedral Rock where we hiked way up the mountain. I finally stopped because I decided I wanted to live a little longer and I don’t like heights. Wayne went on up the mountain, he like it mainly because it was more dangerous and it was very high. While he walked on up I talked to some people who were making their way back down the mountain. One couple was from Nebraska and she was big in the Tea Party Movement, that was a good conversation. I like talking to other conservative people who really care about our constitution and our nation. The last people I talked to were two guys from Japan. I enjoyed listening to them talk about their spiritual journey to the Cathedral Rock. Even if you don’t always agree with someone else’s beliefs or ways it is neat listening to them. After Wayne got back to where I was, we climbed back down to our car and headed back to Airport Mesa for a sunset. We climbed back on the big rock and took a lot of pictures. It was so windy that you had to be careful and hold tight to your footing. We stayed there for a while and then went back to a Pizza place for dinner. Actually, we went to a place called Savannah’s first (a steak house) and got up and left after about 15 minutes because we had a terrible waiter. Neither one of us really wanted to eat there, so we left. The pizza place was pretty good (and a lot cheaper). When we got back to the B & B Wayne got into the hot tub because his legs were pretty sore from the hike up Cathedral Rock and I packed stuff up. We left about 6:10 am on Friday and headed out for the long drive back home.
Cathedral Rock
Saturday is Kyleigh & Emma’s birthday party and we have to be there for that, I have missed those sweet little girls so much and have felt bad because Kyleigh has been pretty sick and I haven’t been there to help Leanne take care of her. I also have missed my sweet little Jazz, thankfully I have a wonderful friend that has taken great care of him & Jodie while we have been gone. I wouldn’t have enjoyed my trip if she hadn’t been there for me, because I would have worried about him the whole time, especially since he got sick 4 days before I was leaving. Leanne took care of my mail, checking my house and my other dogs. Thank you Leanne & Kathy, you helped make my trip more enjoyable. We definitely are planning on a family trip back to Sedona next year. It is a place where everyone that loves views & hiking, should visit.
Still miss PeeWee


1 comment:
Great pictures of your trip to the Grand Canyon. We love having Brandon and Bethany in SS. They are special to us.
Also, we get many many visits on our blog from the River Valley and central arkansas that have come through the link on your blog. Thanks for your support.
Glad you got to experience the Grand Canyon together. We have been there too. It it great.
Kerwin and Vicki
Post a Comment